This recipe is adapted from my Aunt Dorothy’s “beans and greens” recipe. I learned from watching her make it. She’s an amazing cook and she doesn’t measure the ingredients — she just knows how to make things delicious. I hope you love it as much as I do.
Escarole and White Beans Recipe
A couple of notes: This recipe is easy to double or triple and if you have enough escarole I encourage you to do so. The original recipe calls for using the liquid in the can of beans, but you should drain and rinse the beans and substitute water, or low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock if you're concerned about sodium.
- 1 head of escarole, washed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz. can of cannelini beans
- Liquid from canned beans or 1/2 cup water or low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Step 2 Add the onions, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Step 3 Add the escarole, stir to combine, and cook until the escarole is wilted, about 15-20 minutes. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Step 4 Add the beans and liquid, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Stir in the parmesan cheese, and add salt and pepper to taste.