Summer is in full swing here in Boston, and my CSA share has great variety. This week it’s basil, beets, cabbage, cucumbers, escarole, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, spring onions and summer squash.
What I’m Cooking
- Last night I made sautéed cabbage with hot Italian sausage. First I sautéed the sausage in olive oil. You can use crumbled sausage, links removed from their casings, or sliced and pre-cooked sausage. If you don’t eat meat, omit it, or substitute white beans. Once that browned I removed it from the pan. To the pan I added two sliced garlic cloves, and sautéed them with a medium chopped onion. If the sausage wasn’t spicy I would have added a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. I cooked the garlic and onions over medium heat until translucent and then added the chopped cabbage. It was a small cabbage and I used the entire head. I sautéed that, stirring occasionally until it lost its rawness. (I like it to still have some texture, though.) I added the sausage back in, and it seemed like it needed a little liquid so I put a splash of water, gave it one final stir, and dinner was done.
- I had four summer squash – so I used two to make a frittata and I made a summer squash sauté with the other two.
- I also made a really simple kale salad. A great thing about kale salad is that it has a shelf life of a couple of days.
- I plan to make and freeze pesto with the basil.
- I have already washed and dried the lettuce. It’s wrapped it in paper towels in a plastic bag in the fridge. so it’s ready when I am. I’ll keep it simple and make a lettuce salad with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.
- I’ll keep the cucumbers simple too. I’ll slice them up – or use the vegetable peeler to make cucumber ribbons (peel them the long way) and dress that with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper too.
- Kohlrabi will be used in a slaw, where it’s the featured ingredient. If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s fantastic. I’ll post a recipe.
I don’t have a plan yet for the beets, fennel and escarole. I’ll be back with more when I do.
How are you doing with your CSA share? Do you have any questions for me?