This beet soup comes together quickly because you grate the beets before you cook them. I used a food processor which was less messy and quicker than using a hand grater. It’s vegan as is, as are most of the optional toppings.
Chilled Beet Soup
You can garnish this soup with a number of toppings: dill, sour cream or yogurt, chopped cucumber, chopped dill pickles and/or chopped boiled potatoes.
- 3 medium beets, approx. 1 lb., peeled and grated
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tblsp chopped spring onion
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Step 1 Place the beets in a pan and cover with water
- Step 2 Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until tender
- Step 3 Drain the beets, and save a cup or more of the cooking liquid
- Step 4 Blend the beets, cucumber and spring onion in a blender or food processor. Add approximately 1 cup of cooking liquid to bring the soup to a desired consistency.
- Step 5 Add the vinegar and 1/2 tsp of salt and blend again to mix.
- Step 6 Let it come to room temperature, and then refrigerate the soup until cold.
- Step 7 Add more salt – and pepper – to taste.
- Step 8 Garnish as you like.